On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:05:09AM -0600, Jesse Erdmann wrote:
> Last night at the beer meeting there was a fairly good discussion about
> how non-programmers could contribute to Open Source.  Most of the
> discussion centered around doc writing and the like.
>
> Here is yet another way I found posted on The Register this morning:

that's actually a pretty good thought. I know I'm definitely in the category
of 'admin who lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes in xterms'. It continues to
amaze me, the things I find when I actually sit down in front of a box
that's running Gnome or KDE.

I'm going to try to introduce my girlfriend to Linux (she's going to have to
know it, if she uses the computers at my house); but I've been despairing
about how to do it. as anyone who works with me knows, I run very minimal
desktop environments; which are kind of simple, even for most linux users.
(lots of monitors, full of xterms and the occasional web browser, and not
much else. no panels, taskbars, or icons.)

I really wanted to bring her to the Installfest Saturday, so she can take a
look at the different desktop environments people have; and see which one
she likes. unfortunately, she has to work that day. :(

guess I'm going to have to learn how to set up Gnome... without that GDM
russian-roulette buisness. (yeah, it looks all pretty... until something
breaks and you have to bludgeon it to death before you can properly work on
your X configuration).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer