On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:11:33AM -0600, Bill Layer wrote:
> This is one of the little issues that is holding me back from switching from Slackware to RedHat. In Slackware, you are given the choice of some 20 different boot kernel disks, each designed to assist with a particular setup or piece of hardware. Once you select, you can just go to the /kernels dir on the CDrom, and find a directory (with the same name as the bootdisk) which contains:
>
> - a vmlinuz image
> - the matching System.map
> - the config file used to create the first two items

C'mon Bill, you know better than that. Just get the Fine SRPM of the kernel
of choice (386, K7, SMP, Enterprise, whatever) and you'll have the .config
inside.

> This makes starting at a known configuration a snap; you can now customize knowing for sure that the config you start with is a working setup, and matches your bootkernel exactly. No matter if you use bare.i, net.i or aha1452.s you always have the correct, stable starting point.
>
> It seems like such a simple no-brainer thing to provide a set of .config files but for some reason, RedHat has just glanced over it. I need answers.

What do you need the .config for if you don't have theie [heavili patched]
sources?

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4