On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:04:39PM -0600, Brandon Hutchinson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and want to add NTFS read (at least) support to the
> kernel. Apparently Red Hat does not include this support in provided kernel.
>
> Is there an easy way to take your current configuration and have it dumped to
> a ".config" file in /usr/src/linux so that I can simply add NTFS support
> without having to go through all of the kernel configuration options? Of
> course, I would then go through the required steps to build and install the
> new kernel.
>
> I'm not sure how the Red Hat install works, but it seems to automagically
> build modules of my sound card, network interface, etc. When building a
> kernel from scratch, I'm sure that most of my machine-specific options are
> not included; I want to make sure I don't miss anything when building a new
> kernel.
>
> Is something like this possible?

Well, this shouldn't be too hard.  Download the kernel-source RPM for your
kernel version (from a redhat.com or updates.redhat.com mirror).  Then
install the RPM.  The kernel source will be put in
/usr/src/linux-<version>.  Go to /usr/src/linux-<version>/configs and look
at the .configs in there.  One of those configs will match your kernel (run
uname -a to see what you're using).  Go to /usr/src/linux-<kernel_version>
and run 'make menuconfig'.  Scroll to the bottom and choose to load an
alternate config and load the appropriate .config from
/usr/src/linux-<version>/configs.  Search through the options, find and
choose NTFS support, then build your kernel ('make dep ; make clean && make
bzImage && make modules && make modules_install, etc, etc).

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu