Yes, and then from there you can have pam use anything. (local passwd by default) At my current client site, we are using that with pamsmbd, which authenticates pam against an NT PDC. That way NT users don't need to remember their UNIX passwords. Not highly recommended though because your only as strong as your weakesst link, so use with caution.