I definitely don't take a minute per email.  Maybe 5-10 seconds on most.
Many get deleted without being read because it's from someone I don't care
about, spam, or the subject tells me I don't care.

Things also get sorted by priority and dumped into folders.  Anything marked
urgent goes to my inbox.  Lists get their own folder.  HR email goes to the
trash.  Monitoring and alerts for systems that aren't mine get their own
folder, alerts for my own stuff get both in my inbox and forwarded to my
pager, etc.  I spend *a lot* of time doing email, but it's much less than I
could be spending.

Jay