On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Hvidsten, Leif wrote:

> b/c I want to use my Pentium box as a dedicated web server and my Athlon
> box for more desktop type purposes (and run Windoze for games and my
> wife) and then connect them to the router behind the NAT firewall.  If I
> run the Linux packet-filtering firewall and Apache web server on the
> same Pentium box....will that work efficiently/securely behind the
> router's NAT firewall?  Sorry for the newbie questions.....

Hey, I think I can answer that second part too :-).  I'm currently set up
with a linux server doing NAT, firewall, and web/mail serving.  Works very
nicely.  I'd suggest just going with a linux server with 2 ethernet
cards.  Set up Apache and ipchains on the linux box and you can serve as
well as NAT.  Be sure to keep alert on your security stuff though, if
someone roots your firewall box then they have a nice setup to get to your
Athlon.  The more secure way would be to set up the router and use packet
forwarding to access the Apache server, which is on the same network as
the Athlon.  The second option costs more, but it's more secure and less
administration.

I chose the first because if the cost savings and I've administered
firewalls before, if you're new to linux and firewall admin you might find
it better to use the router.

-Brian