On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Hvidsten, Leif wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying.....my bad.  I'm not familiar with DSL since all
> I've ever had is either dial-up or cable.  My cable provider supplied
> me with a cable modem, so that's what's converting my cable signal to
> ethernet.  My situation is that I have two computers.  I wish to
> network them and run a dedicated Linux server on one of them.  To me
> the cable/dsl routers look like a good option b/c then I have room for
> two future computers/switches/hubs, and I get a NAT-based firewall on
> top of it to masquerade the IP of my LAN.  Does anyone use a cable/dsl
> router?  If so, any good/bad experiences with a particular brand?
> The SMC Barricade I mentioned before can be found on the internet for
> $69 and I see that MicroCenter has a sale on them for around $79.
> There are more and more companies now coming out with these....I'm now
> seeing Siemens, Belkin, besides all the other brands I mentioned
> before.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Personally, I'd go with a Linksys. They are just as cheap, and I, well,
have used them, and heard good things from other people using them.  :)
(Although I personally put a only pentium classic in instead..)

> PRIVACY NOTICE: *snip*

We'd appreciate it if you'd strip the privacy notices in the future --
they get irritating on mailing lists.  :)