* Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> [011205 03:19]:
> Quoting Ben Lutgens (blutgens at sistina.com):
> > Personally I find that sort of behavior unethical. I think if I every
> > caught someone working with/for me as an admin searching through our
> > customers (read:users) email or data and they didn't have a valid
> > reason, it would be grounds for dismissal.
> Yeah, then there is dis-plane, dis-tank.

University policy has strict rules on when I can see personal data and
how I can and can't use it.  Having set rules like this in workplaces is
probally a good idea.

http://www.fpd.finop.umn.edu/groups/ppd/documents/policy/Acceptable_Use.cfm

-- cut --
 The University assigns responsibility for protecting its resources and
data to system administrators and data custodians, who treat the
contents of individually assigned accounts and personal communications
as private and does not examine or disclose the contents except:

   1. as required for system maintenance including security measures;
   2. when there exists reason to believe an individual is violating the
law or University policy; and/or
   3. as permitted by applicable policy or law.

---

While im on the topic of 'evil' policies, this one is pretty sinister :
http://www1.umn.edu/oit/policies/networkmanguide.shtml

But its good for network people, lets them manage the bandwidth.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> <sdier at debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos at irc.openprojects.net

So I ran up to him, and the exchange went something like this:
Me: Oh my god! You're Larry Niven!
Him: Oh my god! You're Wil Wheaton!
	-Wil Wheaton, in a Slashdot interview