Has anybody had any luck getting decent battery life from linux laptops?  I can never get the hd to spin down for any length of time because of all the random fs activity especially on /var.  Without disabling syslogd, are there any solutions to getting the hd to spin down?

hdparm -S 1 /dev/hda

doesn't work and is rather annoying because the disk spins down and starts right back up -- probably using as much or more power than if it had just stayed up.

I am concidering mounting /var on a ramdisk just before suspend but I think sync'ing to the disk when it wakes up would be tricky.  Remote sysloging is an option but doesn't help me when I'm off the network.

any insight -- much appreciated,
	marc