* Austad, Jay (austad at marketwatch.com) wrote:
> This won't work though.  Because returning packets to the client are going
> to appear to come from a different address.  He's not doing any sort of NAT,
> and since it's a transition, the box will have to answer to request going to
> it's real IP besides the ones that come from the forwarding rule.  As far as
> I know, there's not any easy way to do it except maybe to create a tunnel
> between the two boxes, and then do source routing.  I don't know if linux
> will do source routing though, never tried it.
Consider this..
Do like Jay said, and set the ttl to something high after doing the
following:

Find or build a machine (B) and ghost the current servers drive (A) to
machine (B)'s drive.

Make a time to down machine A after verifying machine B's capability.
Bring machine B up as machine A shuts down, dns *should* function
properly if it's records are identical etc.

Take machine A to the new location and reconfigure BIND for the new IP
settings, verify it's ok by whatever means you feel will work, and bring
it online.

You may want to make machine A a secondary to B so it updates it's
records accordingly before taking over as primary under it's new
conditions.

I have no idea if this will work, but it seem logical to me.
Any thoughts?

Tom Hudak
Computer Junkie
Caffeine Addict