On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 01:55, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:15:35AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> > I am looking for a really good guide to develop packages for a
> > homegrown system.  I would like to build either RPM or DPKG (unless

>     bash$ # edit control files, install scripts, debconf stuff

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

Most of that part is explained above.

I would suggest just working off of debian or some other distribution
and make an 'overlay' of things that you need to modify.

If your really careful, you can find a nice stable start. I chose
progeny1/newton) and build up on top of it to stay somewhat to where you
want. We've got ~80 packages in the CS dept that we (hey Zibby!) either
have backported/compiled from unstable, or have added custom hacks into.
(gdm to have xdm restricted-user semantics.  need to get this in
upstream.)

If you get hooked on it, find out if the stuff you really like packaging
is in debian yet and contribute.  You might find that maintaining the
packages you really nitpick about can help you learn a bit about
distribution management.  (or politics :| )

Good luck.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> <sdier at debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  irc://irc.openprojects.net/linuxos