On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:50:43PM -0600, Lorry wrote:
> When I reply to an email, I want my address to show as whatever address the
> person wrote to me under.  I thought I had it set up to do this, but adding
> my_hdr From ... seems to override it.  Is there anyway to have it do this
> and also have it just show my first name?  Why doesn't set realname="Lorry"
> work?  I have multiple email addresses that forward to one place, and I want
> to keep the replies consistent because when I don't, people think they have
> to send messages to all my email addresses and I get emails 10 times over.

Ok, as others have said, procmail can help you keep multiple
email addresses straight, but it shouldn't be necessary to fix
this problem.

Here are the mutt settings that I think you'll have to play with.

set alternates="(address1|address2|address3)"  # Regexep
                   # that tells mutt what  your email addresses are.
set realname="Lorry"   # don't know why this wasn't working for you
set reverse_name = yes   # This should set your from address to
                         # whatever address the email was sent to
                         # for replies.
set reverse_realname = no  # This should make the realname set
                        # above be used when the From address is
                        # set by reverse_name.  Setting this to
                        # yes would leave whatever personal name
                        # goes along with the reverse_name email
                        # address.
set from = default_address  # The default address that you want
                            # your email to be from (probably
                            # your ISP address).
send-hook "~t (friend1_address\\|friend2\\|friend3)" 'my_hdr From: address2'
   # Something like this will set every email that you send
   # always be from address2, even if your not replying.

So I think those are the relevant config variables.  Another
thing to look out is that whatever From: address you set using
my_hdr will over-ride the other settings.  More info on all of
this stuff is available in the mutt manual - probably available
at /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/manual.html or at mutt.org.