At 07:32 AM 12/3/01 -0600, Mary Ayala wrote:
> Anyone familiar with this vulnerability?  Are the patches finally ready?  Do
> I even need to worry?

1: I know enough about it to come to my conclusions.

2: RedHat has since released some updated RPMs for wu-ftpd.  I would guess
that these are patched against the most recent bugs.  (If RedHat finally
got around to it, I'd guess everyone else has, too. ;)

3: Yes, I'd worry.  Two of my machines got rooted last year due to
wu-ftpd's poor track record for remote root exploits.  When I heard about
this one, I was running a copy (of last year's patch) on one of my
servers, rather secured by tcpwrappers.  I shut it down then and there.  I
hereby refuse to run this daemon.  I don't especially need an FTP
server.  There isn't much that can't be done with HTTP (network
installs) or SCP (general file transfer).  If I need an FTP daemon, I'll
start using something more secure, like proftpd.

 Yeah, maybe I'm blowing things out of proportion.  Once bitten, twice
shy, I guess.

     Jima