I am trying to set up NIS on my home network.  When I run ypinit -m I get
the following error messages:
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredfailed to
send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredyphelper: This
program is for internal use from some
          ypserv scripts and should never be called
          from a terminal
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredyphelper:
This program is for internal use from some
          ypserv scripts and should never be called
          from a terminal
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredfailed to
send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredfailed to send
'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredfailed to send 'clear'
to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredfailed to send 'clear' to local
ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredfailed to send 'clear' to local ypserv:
RPC: Program not registeredfailed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC:
Program not registeredfailed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program
not registeredfailed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not
registeredmakedbm: Cannot open /var/yp/spinti/netgroup
gmake[1]: *** [netgroup] Error 1
make: *** [target] Error 2
gawk: cmd. line:2: fatal: error reading input file `-': Input/output error

A little history on the machine might help:
It began as a 486 running RedHat 5.2 and served as my PDC.  I upgraded samba
for a while and then upgraded to RH 6.0.  I then changed the motherboard to
a P166 and upgraded to 6.2.  I installed the following packages for NIS:
	yp-tools 2.4
	ypbind 1.7	is in /usr/sbin and in /etc/rc.d/init.d
	ypserv 1.3.9	is in /usr/sbin and in /etc/rc.d/init.d
	make 3.78 (never had it in the original install)

The machine only has 16 MB or RAM, so I cannot install RH 7.x.

I attached the print out from the ypinit -m command

Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist.com
952-368-3278 x396