Sounds to me like you want Expect.  Expect is a scripting language
which allows you to control a device that is normally controlled by
human interaction.  Basically you have expect statements which tell
the script what to look for and send statements to send responses to
what you receive.

I wouldn't say Expect is the easiest thing to learn, at least if you
want to use it's full capabilities, but it is easier than
assembler. :-) I can recommend the O'Reilly book on it.

Eric