I just got a used tape drive.  Just in time too, because I've needed to
backup and reinstall my system for some time.  The thing is, the history
of this drive is unknown and before I dump all my precious data to it I
want to make sure it's going to perform as designed.  Are there any tools
or methods for testing tape drives?  I've tried some basic stuff (wrote
/dev/zero to the tape, tar'd some stuff to it, waiting for my tar to
finish so I can try an un-tar) but I'm wondering if there's any
diagnostics to test the hardware and such.  Any ideas?

-Brian