Protection against communications and computing monopolies is a very old
story. In fact, Control Data Corp. had a successful run here in Minnesota
for years because they won some protection from IBM's dominance.

I was one of the first advertised ISPs in Minnesota in 1985. The goal was
freer communications, the technology was developed to meet that goal.
Maintaining a free, open, unregulated internet communications system
remains a goal. That's why Linux exists.

The issue is the same, just technology and people have changed greatly
over the years. Computing and internet technology have become
entertainment oriented.

I am very happy with my slow, reliable, independent ISP. But independent
ISPs face some big challenges.

As a parent to 3 grown kids, your attitude is very familiar.

On 8/24/01, 10:14:08 AM, Scott Dier <dieman+tclug at ringworld.org> wrote
regarding Re: [TCLUG] ATT filtering and now bring in lawyers.sdm: