http://www.linux-laptop.net/ has info on it.

I've generally found that once you go through the PAIN of getting linux on a
Sony, it generally works well.  Most of the time you'll end up doing a
network install unless you have a built in CDRom.  Some distros will let you
specify the IDE device at the lilo prompt on boot, but it doesn't work with
Mandrake, at least not that I've found.

Kernel 2.4 has support for that little scrolly wheel on the side of the
sonys also.

Most sony laptops use the Neomagic 256 sound/video setup.  The sound and
video both use the same memory.  You need to make sure that your sound
module gets loaded before you start X, otherwise X will overwrite the sound
memory, and you get a scratchy sound when you move windows around.  :)

I have linux installed on about 3 different sony laptops, and it was a pain
to get going on all of them.

Jay