On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:22:30 -0500 (CDT)
"Kevin R. Bullock" <kbullock at ringworld.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Brian wrote:
>
> > Yup, gracias.  For some reason, the index on linuxdocs.org does not
have
> > this HOWTO listed, and the index on linuxdoc.org does.  Time for me to
> > stop using linuxdocs.org I guess.  And what's up with the banner ads
on
> > linuxdocs?
>
> I've never seen linuxdocs.org before... it's not even registered to the
> same person as linuxdoc.org. http://www.linuxdoc.org/ is the official
> web site of the LDP. Use it instead.

I was thinking about setting up a serial console, and I noticed something
that seems to be missing from the HOW-TO. The HOW-TO neglects to mention
anything about the kernel configuration option "Character Devices >
Support for Console on Serial Port". I assume this option needs to be
included to allow a serial console, but the HOW-TO ignores it.

Here is a clip from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt:

To use a serial port as console you need to compile the support into your
kernel - by default it is not compiled in. For PC style serial ports
it's the config option next to "Standard/generic (dumb) serial support".
You must compile serial support into the kernel and not as a module.

Is this Yet Another Sloppy HOW-TO?

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-