> Paranoid:
> Step 1.  Connect Linux box to console port on switches/routers/etc
> Step 2.  SSH into linux box.  Use minicom.
>
> Not so paranoid:
> Just set up a box internally that you can SSH to.  telnet from there into
> your switches/routers.  You're far safer doing this by keeping the telnet
> stream off the interent and in a safer environment.

When you say "internally", I assume you mean behind a firewall, which is
what I do. In fact, my usual practice is per your "Paranoid" approach.

However the point is that in order for the "Not so paranoid" approach to
work, you must have telnet installed on something, and therein lies the
problem. You'd then have to take extra measures to make it unavailable for
ill-considered purposes by other users.

You do reinforce the previous point that there are ways/places to use
telnet that are reasonable. But to me this is very different than
eradicating it altogether -- it's just not feasible at this point.

Andy