On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, James Stauffer wrote:

> I have a Athlon 500 with 384MB of RAM and ATA/66 disks. I edit large
> files on it (700MB wav files on average).  What it the best way to
> increase performance of editing?

>  IDE RAID?
Yes.

>  Upgrade mobo and install 1GB of DDR RAM?
Yes.  Parts are cheap.  1.4 Ghz Athlons for $108 this morning.

>  Something else?
Go SCSI or at least ATA/100 RAID.  Buy a newer board with ATA/100 support
(I like the ECS K7VZA myself) and get yourself an IDE RAID
controller.  Unless you have extra money laying around, then SCSI will
make you happier.

Another solution might be to switch to BeOS.  It's EXTREMELY fast on my
PIII 500 with 128 MB RAM.  It's designed for multimedia and has a decent
(not excellent) selection of WAV editors.  There's a free demo copy on
be.com or I think it's $50 for the full version (extra apps, manual, etc).

-Brian