On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:41:15AM -0800, peter.clark at tides.com wrote:
>    I am running Woody. I also just downloaded (through the Debian package
> page) ppp_2.4.1-4_i386.deb, and tried dpkg -i. Same problem. So, I changed
> the command in /etc/modutils/0keep to something harmless (ls) and tried
> again. This was the result:
<snip>

The "keep" in /etc/modutils/0keep was not a command.
/etc/modutils/0keep is a configuration file, and the "keep" line
is part of the configuration.  Put that line back into that file
the way it was.  The problem is with one of the packaging scripts
using /etc/modutils/0keep incorrectly, not with the file itself.

>    This was, mind you, using dpkg -i. So what do I do? Every time I run
> apt-get, it sees that it has an uninstalled upgrade for ppp and tried to
> install it. The bug list  didn't seem to have anything about it. I don't
> know the internals of the packaging system, so I don't know how to remove
> it from the queue.

Well, you should be able to remove the package and install an old
version, though it might be a pain to get an old version other
than the stable/potato which may or may not work for you.

dpkg --purge ppp
dpkg -i old_ppp

Then to keep apt-get from grabbing the new one, you should put
ppp on hold. The easiest way to do this is:

echo "ppp     hold" |dpkg --set-selections

As for where the packaging scripts are, for installed packages
they are stored under /var/lib/dpkg/info.  To ger at them for
uninstalled debs:

ar -x foo.deb
tar zxvf control.tar.gz

Hope this helps.  Whatever the outcome, make sure you submit a
bug on this (using the reportbug or bug command).

--
Jim Crumley                  |    Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |    http://freesklyarov.org/