> Any hints? Am I missing the obvious?
>
> Thank you for reading,
>
> Troy

I would certainly change the IDE calble. When swapping the cable make sure your cable is plugged in firmly at each join.
Check the bios to make sure it is set properly. When in $windoze$ first check the system properties. Look at the far right
tab (whatever its called) and look to see if your drives are using compatability mode, or maybe the MBR has been modified.
Next I would boot into safe mode. Go to the system property device manager and remove all indices of cdr's and cdrw's. I personally
would remove the ide controllers as well. Reboot and it should find what it wants. Another thought is to flash your bios. I know there
are somewhat recent (newer than time of production) versions of that bios.
If you still have problems I suggest you goto http://linuxiso.org and download your choice. With a Linux iso on your hard drive
the burner is bound to work.

that is my opinion

--