On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:42:53PM -0500, Jay Kline wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 August 2001  9:03 pm, you wrote:
> > > it may be a SCSI emulation problem.  From a console or terminal of your
> > > choice, type:
> > >
> > > ls -l /dev/cdrom2
> > >
> > > And report back what you see.
> >
> > /dev/cdrom2 -> scd0
> >
> > just for kicks, I did the same thing for the dvd drive and was rewarded
> > with:
> > /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> >

> Ok, this means more than likely you have SCSI emulation set up, only for your
> cd burner, and your DVD drive is plain IDE.

<snip much good advice>

Also check to see that the proper scsi modules are loading (I'm
assuming that Mandrake has SCSI emulation as a module - never
have used Mandrake myself).

Before and after trying to mount the burner type:

lsmod

If things are setup correctly, then the ide-scsi module (and its
dependancies) should load when you try to mount the burner.  If
not then manual load the module (and it dependancies if
necessary).

modprobe ide-scsi

--
Jim Crumley                  |    Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |    http://freesklyarov.org/