Jon,

After your last posting, I did a little extra homework on this.

The sites you'd originally complained about as "coming and going" were:
	http://slashdot.org
	http://slashdot.com
	http://www.air1.com
	http://linuxgazette.com
	http://www.csc.calpoly.edu

Note that an nslookup on slashdot.org and slashdot.com map to the same ip
address.

Note also that, as I gathered the data below, it's about 10:30pm CDT and
I'm on an AT&T Broadband cable modem in Mendota Heights.

http://slashdot.{org,com} appear to have problems responding to traceroutes,
but only after leaving *.ip.att.net on routes owned by "exodus.net" (starting
at hop 14, see http://www.exodus.net for details).  Presently slashdot.org is
NOT responding to pings and traceroutes never resolve, all due to a problem
somewhere within exodus.net.

www.air1.com at 209.67.75.64 is 15 hops away, and is presently responding
to pings pretty consistently between 55 and 59ms with no dropped. packets.
Tracrouting this site hangs can sometime "hang" for a while (in real time)
somewhere in exodus.net (at or near the same router that's having trouble
finding slashdot.org).

http://linuxgazette.com at 64.39.18.140 is 16 hops away, and is presently
responding to pings pretty consistently between 32 and 49ms with no dropped
packets.

http://www.csc.calpoly.edu at 129.65.241.3 is 22 hops away and is presently
responding to pings pretty consistently between 110 and 130ms, also with no
dropped packets.

Conclusion:

AT&T (in the guise of *.mediaone.net and *.att.net) appear to have their
internal house pretty much in order, but rely on external connections to
non-AT&T networks that are less than fully stable.

-S