On Wednesday 15 August 2001  9:03 pm, you wrote:
> > it may be a SCSI emulation problem.  From a console or terminal of your
> > choice, type:
> >
> > ls -l /dev/cdrom2
> >
> > And report back what you see.
>
> /dev/cdrom2 -> scd0
>
> just for kicks, I did the same thing for the dvd drive and was rewarded
> with:
> /dev/cdrom -> hdc

Ok, this means more than likely you have SCSI emulation set up, only for your
cd burner, and your DVD drive is plain IDE.

Try this next, from a console or terminal, type:

ls -ld /mnt/cdrom2

and see what the permissions are. You should see something like "drwxrwxr-x
2 root   root 4096 Oct 9 1998 /mnt/cdrom2"

The important part the the first.  You should see "drwxrwxr-x" and not
something like "-rw-rw-r--".  The key here is the first letter. If it is a d,
then it is a directory.  if it is a - then it is a regular file.  It should
be a directory, and something got messed up if its not.  The next important
part is the following letters.  It is 3 sets of rwx (read,write,execute) for
the permissions.  If there is a dash in place of the letter, it means that
permission isnt set.  For this particular directory, it should have at least
r-x.  There are HOWTO's out there for more explaination of what it means.

The other thing is the "supermount" part in fstab.  When things arnt working
right, you should turn that off.  To turn that off, do this:

umount /mnt/cdrom2		#this may or may not do anything

Then edit fstab- comment out the line for /mnt/cdrom2 (just put a # in front
of the line)

Now, put a CD in the drive that you know is good.  To mount it manually, type:

mount /dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2

And let us know what the output for that is.  If there is no output, then do
this:

cd /mnt/cdrom2
ls *

and give the output of that.

--
Jay Kline
list at slushpupie.com
http://www.slushpupie.com

There is no such thing as fortune.  Try again.