On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 03:24:22PM -0500, Simeon Johnston wrote:
>That's not really the kind of background the retrospect client offers.
>Scheduled unattended backups of client machines.  Not just the server.
>Applescript also offers some very nice automation if you want to spend
>the time.
What's not really the kind of "background" the "retrospect" client offers?
That sentence dosn't make sense to me.
>Also allows keyword matching etc.
Of what, files? I don't understand why on earth you would only want to backup
file x over file y if you have a tape with 30 gig free. Just back it all up
when needed.

>I've been very impressed w/ Dantz's support.  Never had any problems
>with them.
>I've been very very happy with Retrospect so far (at least the Mac version).
except one thing... it costs $$. Why pay money for a level 1 tech, when you
get answers for free from experts all over the world as well as the lead
engineer designing and programming the software?
>*** Now for something completely different ***
>
>I've been thinking of a solution for my problems.  Here it is.
>
>1. Linux samba client for Windows backup.
Set up a PDC or something, or share you winblows clients drives. (Latter is
not smart.)
>2. Linux afpfs client (appletalk client) for Mac's
Do it the same way you would for samba.
>3. Linux backup server program (maybe amanda).
Amanda will do your "backgrounded" backups every single night, and determine
*what* needs to be backed up based on modification dates over the course of
your "dumpcycle" for every *client* you configure.

Please get the idea out of your head that a "transparent" backup is anything
at all! (I don't know who originally requested the transparent functionality)
because it's an oxymoron. Here's a couple backup rules quick:
1. Don't do backups while people are working. Period. Do them at night.
2. Don't keep re-using the same exact set of tapes throughout your dump cycle.
At minimum you want a second set so if somehow your current set dies, the most
you loose is 1 dumpcycle worth of data.

>Interesting problem.
It's an old problem that is slowly being solved by interoperable software such
as samba and afpfs.

The amanda team is working on a winblows port of their client software as
well, so you'll be able to natively run winblows as a client of amanda and not
share anything anymore.

If you want information on how any of this works or solutions to current
problems, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks,
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator

sleep: Command not found - The story of my life...