On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 03:48:02PM -0500, Michael Fraase wrote:
> Sorry, I thought everyone would be able to infer what I meant by
> cross-platform from the body of the original message.
>
> Cross-platform for me, in this case, means Macs (OS 9.x and OSX) and
> Windows (Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP) backed up *transparently* by
> software running on Linux.
>
> Transparency is important. I don't want users to have to worry about
> moving files to a server volume or specifying files to be backed up or
> anything else; I just want the entire contents of a computer backed up
> to the tape. In the background. Automatically.
>
> Neither Amanda nor Arcserve seem to have any sort of Mac client
> software, which would rule them out for my application.

Well, if you've got the money, Tivoli TSM is good.  They support a zillion
platforms.  We use them to backup MacOS, Irix, AIX, Tru64 and Linux.  As
far as the backing stuff up in the background, this is what we do with our
Macs.  Our Mac users aren't terribly sophisticated and are too lazy to put
all their files on a server share.  We just throw the TSM client on their
machines and set them to back up everything every night.

Main TSM page is at: http://www.tivoli.com/tsm.  List of supported platforms
at http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/compatibility.html (there's
a little drop-down menu with the different platforms they support).

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu