On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:50:52 -0500 (CDT)
"Yaron" <jethro at freakzilla.com> wrote:

>   Hey,
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Bill Layer wrote:
>
> > performance. I arrived at these settings through trial-and-error):
>
> How do you do the trial? (:

Read the article... tells all about it... that is why I went and searched
it out again. But the basic procedure is to establish the starting point
by running hdparm -Tt /dev/hd? and recording those figures. Then start
making intelligent guesses, changing parameters with hdparm and re-running
the -Tt benchmark to see which combination of parameters get you the best
performance, while remaining stable.

Interesting to note: while Linux does NOT use the BIOS after boottime, the
BIOS settings for hard disk modes, etc are retained by the drives
themselves after boot. My (very recent) BIOS puts the drives in the proper
PIO mode at boottime, so I make no PIO/UDMA mode / speed changes in my
hdparm command: d1 and u1 enable DMA and interrupt-unmasking,
respectively. Your best setup may be a combination of BIOS / hdparm modes
like mine, or not.

But again, read the article.. you can cause NASTY problems, crashes, data
loss etc if you make a bad move.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-