On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:10:28 -0500 (CDT)
"Yaron" <jethro at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> I've done the hdparm thing, but I really don't know what to look for/at.
> Anyone want to throw some HDD optimization tips out to the list?
Including
> "Enable this in the kernel" etc.

There was an EXCELLENT article on linux.oreily.net on using hdparm, it is
what got my I/O up to the current levels. Here is a link to it:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

FWIW, here is a clip from my /etc/rc.d/rc.local (most of the other
settings mentioned in the article just seemd to do nothing, or hurt
performance. I arrived at these settings through trial-and-error):

# Set the IDE I/O parameters for /dev/hde
echo "Using hdparm to set IDE I/O parameters..."
/sbin/hdparm -u1 -d1 /dev/hde

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-