specify, it is fairly safe to assume such.  Somebody with SCSI and/or RAID
would usually know to say so.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Hudak" <thudak at sistina.com>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Poor performance of AMD 1 Ghz?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:41:12AM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
>Anyone else seeing terrible performance on AMD Athlong processors?
My dad's 1Ghz is blazing fast.

>In particular I'm see racid performance on serving up web content.
Hmmmm, and you say it's not disk? (Don't mean to be skeptical) but how do
you
know, what's the disk config like. raid? block size? separate disk on
separate
bus for serving up content?

>We are using kernel 2.2.19. It's not a disk issue, everything is in core
and no
>swapping is taking place.
What are you using to bench the content serving? Bonnie? We need more info
Bob! :-) I'd say throw a couple stick of DDR2100 in and don't worry about
it.

What version Athlon is it? 200 or 266 FSB, how much cache? (I know stock
athlons get 128K L1, but I've seen then with 384.) What kind of motherboard?

AJ's 1ghz machine w/ scsi disks is by far the fastest desktop in our office,
it just hauls ass.
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator

sleep: Command not found - The story of my life...