From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Tom Hudak
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 10:19 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] StarOffice 5.2 install on 2.4.6, 2.4.7, 2.4.8 locks
hard

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
>I got 512Mb RAM and 1.0Gb of swap. So I doubt it.
GAH!!!! Get rid of that much swap!!! with 512 Meg of ram you shouldn't even
touch the swap! (Remember, the whole idea behind it is that RAM was expensive,
much more so that disk space for equivalent sizes so dump some stuff that was
intended for RAM to disk when it's not a high priority etc.)

That much swap WILL affect your system performance. Ideally you want 1.5x the
amount of ram you have, that's 768, but since you have half a gig, you might
want to consider going with 256M swap or less. Or none at all.

Good luck,
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator

sleep: Command not found - The story of my life...