Here's an even better Qworst story:

I know that DSL is available in my area (a friend ONE block away
has it). When we moved into my current apartment (a move of
about a half mile) our line didn't qualify. We were told by a tech that
if we were to switch phone numbers (we had taken the old one with
us) to the prefix that was in that area that DSL would work. So, of
course, we switched numbers. Qworst was even nice enough to
give us the forwarding message for free.

As soon as we got the new line all squared away we called back to
get DSL, and.... SURPRISE! We didn't qualify. Aparently the
insertion loss in my line was too high. I had to have Visi figure this
out for me because everyone at Qworst seemd to think I was too
far from a CO. In fact, I called people and told them that *I* knew
what the problem was and that I wanted them to tell me what I
already knew. No luck there.

Anyway, I finally talked to someone who seemed to know what he
was talking about until he started explaining why they couldn't fix
my line. It went something like this: "Well we can't fix your line
because that would be showing a preference to a particular ISP
(Visi in this case) which we are prevented by law from doing." I
went on to assure him that I thought that was complete BS,
because they should damn well be willing to fix it for a customer
regardles of which ISP is involved. Suffice it to say I got Road
Runner. We were online with RR in 2 1/2 days from the time I
placed the order. Talk about easy. The only problem is that all
traffic goes through San Francisco or something random.

Has anyone else had similar insertion loss problems that Qworst
has fixed? I couldn't break through the wall of stupidity over there
for like 4 days in a row.

Ben
Benjamin Exley
President