"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy at veldy.net> writes:

> I am not positive, but I believe you can make transparent PNG format files.

You can; in fact it supports *better* transparency than GIF does (you
can have *partially* transparent pixels, which means that
anti-aliasing can be used on transparent images, which means that you
only have to produce one copy at any given size, instead of having to
do one for each background color at each size.

Unfortunately, no browser in common use supports the partial
transparency, and many don't support transparency in PNG at all.  I'm
really annoyed at the browser people; they've done the usual
"checklist" implementation -- they can display a standalone PNG image,
but not much more.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/