From: Bill Layer [mailto:blayer at qwest.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 8:37 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] NIC Card

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:46:09 -0500
"Miller, John" <JMiller2 at dainrauscher.com> wrote:

> Well I tried that.  If we back up a bit, if eth0 is connect to a hub,
> should not the hub light be lit.

Yes.. unless that hub link LED is on, all bets are off for
communication.
It sounds like the card & hub are unable to negotiate a speed setting -
I've seen that before. Sometimes the particular combination of card(s)
and
hub (or switch) will create negotiation issues.

Oddly enough, the last time I saw a negotiation problem, it was between
Netgear 10/100 switch and a Netgear PCI NIC. The Netgear parts would
negotiate if they were alone, but when the switch was daisy-chained to
an
second SMC 10baseT hub, they could not get along. However, I swapped in
an
Intel Pro/100 for the Netgear NIC, and all worked fine.

In any event, until you see a link LED on both ends of the wire, don't
even waste your time with drivers, etc. Until that phyical layer is
happy,
nothing else will work.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-