"Chester A. Larson" <clarson at iaxs.net> wrote:

> Has it been ported to Linux?  If it has where do I can find a KB?

Yes, you can get Dvorak layouts in Linux for console and X (though I've
been having a hell of a time figuring out how to get it to work right in
Debian testing..)

Contrary to what Mark says, it is quite possible to switch between Qwerty
and Dvorak.  I do it nearly every day.  I can't stand Qwerty for too long,
though, and I have to set up a Dvorak layout if I have to be at a system
for a while.

A number of other folks in the LUG do Dvorak as well, though I don't know
their stories all that well.  I think there was a guy a while back that
said he learned it in a few hours, but I'm not sure I believe him ;-)

I didn't keep strict track of time, but I think it took me about two weeks
to get back up to a decent typing speed.  For a while, I couldn't touch a
Qwerty keyboard without going nuts, but it became easier later.

Basically, if you want to learn Dvorak and keep your ability to do Qwerty,
make sure you can get by without doing a lot of typing within the next
month or so ;-)

In X, to change the current keymap, do `setxkbmap dvorak'.  The more
permanent solution is to muck with your XF86Config file.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   "Were they sent to Hell?"