Unfortunately, this probably won't work.  At 3 blocks, the beam on my laser
point is about an inch wide.  This is most likely due to changes in the air
temp and index of refraction.  1 inch at 3 blocks compared to 1mm at the
pointer is a big difference, it's only going to get worse at longer
distances, especially to the moon.  :)

Maybe my laser is a piece of crap, but I have a few and they are all like
that.  Did you know that at 2am, if you see someone stealing a parking
meter, and you put a red dot on their chest from the 23rd story of an
apartment building, they get really scared and hide behind big concrete
poles until they muster up enough balls to run out in the open and around
the corner??  :)  It's times like those where you wish you had a video
camera.

Jay