On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Veldy wrote:
> They are probably avoiding the message of "not allowing servers" because so
> many DSL users CAN run servers.  They need to compete.  Cable infrastructure
> is setup as a client system and not a server system.  It is very
> asynchronous.  This is the main reason they probably don't allow it (it
> affects others on the same node in a negative way when the uplink is
> saturated).  When I was with MediaOne, it was very clear they did NOT allow
> servers.  It was in the document I signed when my modem was installed (and
> it was a one-way modem at that).  Find that document and then look to see if
> they have modified it since, and I am confident you will find the clause
> that states that they do not want you to run servers.

 There's not a mention of running servers on the AT&T Broadband Terms And
Conditions page:

http://www.attbroadband.com/services/other/TermsAndConditions.html

 On the other hand, Exhibit A (v) states that "You may not post or
transmit any file which contains viruses, worms, "Trojan horses" or any
other contaminating or destructive features."  Doesn't this mean that
running an IIS server infected by Code Red is a violation?
 Hmm.  Deep.

 I'm finding myself agreeing with Nate.  AT&T doesn't seem to know its
policies itself.  All of the (somewhat lacking, contradictory?) data is
scattered across different sites, domain names, servers...we'd probably
have better luck asking the Magic 8-Ball.
 "Answer unclear."  Damn.

     Jima