Folks,

I was wondering why my WWW hit monitors suddenly went to zero.  Then I
checked and found out why:  No hits.  When I logged into my backup ISP and
tried "lynx http://zjod.net", I got, "Unable to contact remote host." I also
checked ftp, ssh, and telnet, which all worked.  Only http access wasn't
going through.

So, I've got a favor to ask...

Could those of you with AT&T/Mediaone as your ISP who are also running web
servers please check your http access logs?  When you do, I think you'll
find the last outside (non-AT&T) access your web server had was on or about
1am CDT on August 6'th.

When I called AT&T to complain about it (after 26 minutes on hold before
getting to a level 1 customer service dudette), a level 2 customer service
guy told me that AT&T has decided to block all inbound tcp/ip requests on
port 80 for any (all?) of their broadband (and dialup?) customers.

He claimed it was a temporary measure designed to allow the company to
combat the effects of CodeRed and SirCam. (Never mind that SirCam only
spreads by email ;-)

Gee, it sure woulda been nice to be notified prior to having my ability to
serve web pages cut off!

If someone could verify that I'm not the only one affected, then I think
it's past time I call the Public Utilities Commission to lodge a complaint.

-Steve Siegfried