On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:20:39AM -0700, Phillip.J.Crump at WellsFargo.COM wrote:
>Running Mandrake 7.1
>
>When the system boots up it gets to the screen with the Penguin and then

What exactly is the "Screen with the penguin"

>gives me a message
>"INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Sounds to me like X won't start. Since it's spawned from inittab it keeps
trying.

Double check to make sure your XF86Config file is correct. Most times X
won't start due to a mouse not working. Set your default runlevel to 4 by
editing /etc/inittab, try to boot and then login as root and attempt to run
"startx" use this method to debug your X configuration, then change your
default runlevel back to 5 and try again.

HTH

--
Ben Lutgens
Sistina Software Inc.

What's the difference between root and God ?
God doesn't think that he is root.