On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Bill Layer wrote:

> follow_symlinks - Boolean, defaults to 1. If set, symlinks will be
> dereferenced (followed) while scanning the files in the search paths.

I agreed with Bill.  Than I went here:
 http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=dereference

Well Bill, dictionary.com says we're both wrong:
" <programming> To access the thing to which a pointer points, i.e. to
follow the pointer"

The funny thing is, it also mentions that you're not the first to ask
this:
" At first sight the word "dereference" might be thought to mean "to cause
to stop referring" but its meaning is well established in jargon."

I almost had brain burnout trying to defend my conclusion (which was
identical to Bill;'s) , so I figureed when all else fails ask someone who
knows.

-Brian

Those who don't know spend hours to get at the wrong answer.
Those who know buy a .com