>As a biproduct, if I can gain downloading speed that would be an added
>benefit.  I remember hearing about shotgunning analog lines years ago
>for a 126Kbps link.  I figure I could "shotgun" these links and get T1
>speeds at a fraction of the cost.  Granted I will have a wide pipe with
>high latency.

Nope, sorry.  It only works with modem lines when you have them to the same
ISP, and that ISP must support multilink PPP.  You could increase your
outgoing with a spiffy packet spoofing kernel module, but if your ISP has
their routers set up correctly, they won't pass packets out with a source
address that doesn't exist within their address space.  Plus, doing that on
a packet by packet level will probably just get you really sketchy uploads
since packets will arrive way out of order, and if one ISP has much greater
latency than the other, the tcp packets will miss their windows and have to
be resent.  Plus, because of the out of order packet issue, streaming audio
or video would be out of the question.

You can probably get some redundancy with a round robin dns entry and two
webservers (one on each link).  But you'll need to work out a way for the
dns server to monitor your servers/links from afar and not hand out the ip
to the server that is not accessible.  You can probably find something on
freshmeat.net.  Take a look at Eddie also, http://www.eddieware.org.

In any case, you will never get t1 speeds when downloading, the max speed
will always be the max speed of one of the DSL lines (assuming there is no
other traffic on it).  You can only multiply your incoming bandwidth like
that when both lines go to the same ISP.  Trust me on this, I maintain over
535Mbit of connectivity consisting of a bunch of DS3's from multiple
providers, and a couple of 100Mbit Ethernet links coming off some equipment
connected to OC-192's.

If you want more bandwidth, and you're running a commercial site, just break
down and get the $420/mo T1 from Onvoy.com (loop fee extra, but was only
$200 for me). If you simply want the redundancy, you may be able to get
Eddie to work for you.  DSL is not a good solution for running important
sites off of, I tried it for awhile, and still do run stuff off mine, but
it's not that reliable, and you get no SLA unless you pay $400/mo for
business class DSL, in which case you're better off just getting the Onvoy
T1 deal (note: I don't work for them :).

Jay