I personally gave up on Enlightenment a long time ago. Eye Candy at a
price. I was amazed at the difference between running E+GNOME and running
IceWM+GNOME. (My machine was much slower at the time, but still. They
can't seem to decide if Enlightenment is a window manager, desktop
[epplets?], or a concept. most themers would say window manager,
developers a concept. Not quite enough to make it a desktop)

As far a customizing, sawfish lets me bind keys, that's about all I need.
Don't know what there is to customizie in FVWM. The thing about Sawfish is
that it's pretty useless without GNOME. The author never intended for it
to stand on it's own. It manages windows, let gnome have the menus (though
I notice sawfish 1.0 has a menu now, looks like it's the Debian menu
system.) pager, background switching, etc. I do like that you can bind
just about every function. My mouse wheel controls desktop switching when
no window has focus for example. I'm sure this is an easy thing to do in
other window managers, but it's one of those little things you learn to
just love.

I never got into the Next/Open Step thing myself. For most of us, we're
used to windows like behavior with the minimize, maximize, close, and menu
buttons on the title bar. Rollup/window shade is a nice bonus (for some of
us.) But the warf/dock is just kinda strange. Is it a task manager or a
task launcher? Totally different concept on how you should interact with
your computer. I'm sure there's a description of it somewhere in the
Window Maker docs, or maybe something on Apples site as OSX follows this
somewhat.

I've used FVWM. I do like it. But I'm lazy and like point click click
click...so GNOME it is. And when I need something really trim, I go to
blackbox, not fvwm.

I need food, later.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward