On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 10:15:26AM -0500, Steve Siegfried wrote:
> Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > cp is smart enough to complain that "`foo' and `foo' are the same file"
> > if you try to copy something onto itself, so I can't see why cpio
> > should destroy the file in that case.
> >

> Because cp(1) has logic that checks.  cpio(1) doesn't.  Both commands use
> unlink(2) to remove files.

Right.  I didn't mean "should" in the sense of "what code causes it", but
rather "why would it be The Right Thing for cp to have that check and cpio
to omit it?"

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox