> From: Spencer J Sinn <ssinn at qwest.net>
>
> As far as the *DSL software* running only on Windows, does anyone here
> using Linux and Qwest actually use their commander software? I have had a
> total of 11 different machines running on my home network using *nix, Windows
> and MacOS and I have *never* used the commander software qwest sent me...
> This is just Micro$ofts way of shouldering in to the DSL market.

Since my 3c509b would come under Windows 95 before I could get it to
work under Linux I got the Cisco 678 working under Windows first.

I used the Cisco Commander software to get started.

I found it somewhat helpful when on the phone with Qwest to determine
why I couldn't connect to my ISP.  (They spent an hour on the phone
with me, and were both helpful and sympathetic.)

I don't anticipate needed Cisco Commander on any regular basis.  You
can do everything through the command line.  I might even be tempted
to write an expectk GUI that would provide similar functions on the
Linux desktop.  (Not something I would do in the short term.)

dsc