Since X is tunneled through ssh when you use it it sounds like perhaps you're experiencing a ssh configuration issue rather then an ipchains issue. Look in the server's sshd_config file to make sure that X forwarding is enabled, and  try using ssh with the -v option for some verbose output.  Perhaps you'll see "cannot locate xauth"...?