|-----Original Message-----

The Zilog Z80 was a souped up version of the Intel 8080 with a few extra
instructions.  It was an 8-bit processor.  My father-in-law added one to his
Apple II so that he could run CP/M programs on it.

It was the processor that ran in the Radio Shack TRS-80 and at least one
version of the Heathkit computers (H-8 ?) and the early CP/M portables from
Kaypro, et al. (at 25 lbs. or more).  It gave Intel a run for their money
until they came out with the 8088.  Even after that NEC marketed a V-20 chip
that emulated the Z-80 and ran 8088 instructions (faster and better that
Intel...).  At first MS-DOS programs were few and far between and most
people still relied on CP/M stuff that was ported over or else ran CP/M in
software emulation (slow-on a 4.77 MHz machine) or had dual processor
machines (the Heathkit H-100 had an 8088 and 8085 that was selected at boot
time).

Just a little history on a Friday afternoon...