This is actually a question for my father-in-law, who's out in Sapporo,
Japan. He really wants to make Linux his primary OS, but is being held back
by not knowing how to input Japanese in X. I helped him last summer to set
up kinput2 (or canna, I don't remember which), but I could only get that to
work with kterm. Of course, what he really needs is a way to input Japanese
into a word processor. So: does anyone speak Japanese and have it in X? If
so, whatinput method would you recommed? Kinput2, canna, wnn? What word
processor? StarOffice? Abiword? Kword? I found this picture
(http://www.kde.gr.jp/~toshitaka/Kde/KOffice/KWord/xim.png) which shows the
recently patched version of Kword with Japanese input, which looks like it
would be perfect for him, although I don't know what input method is being
used. (As far as I know, XIM is just a generic term.)
   Otherwise, if all else fails, I'll just point him in the direction of
the Sapporo LUG. He's on vacation right now, so I thought it would be nice
to do a little research for him first. Except that I don't know Japanese,
which makes reading the documentation a little difficult. :)
   :Peter