Hey,

Quoting "David S. Cargo" <cargods at storage.network.com>:

> With this box I don't intend to have any external services available.
> I guess that means I don't need an ftp daemon or an http daemon.  Are
> there other services I could/should turn off?

EVERYTHING. Turn off ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Especially, make sure you turn off
inetd or xinetd, depending on which you have.

Do a "netstat -an | grep LISTEN", this'll give yo ua list of open ports on your
system. It should be empty.

Use Red Hat's "chkconfig" utility to check what services are on. This is from
memory, bu tI think "chkconfig --list" will list everything. Look for services
that are on at runlevel 3. Turn off all you don't need - inetd, lp, nfs*, etc.
If there's osmething in there you don't know, TURN IT OFF. Then read the docs
about it.

HTH,

-Yaron

PS Maybe we should have a Unix Security thing at a TCLUG meeting?