On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Brian Carter-Stiglitz wrote:

> OK I am not sure where to begin  so here goes:  I am running a modified
> Redhat 6.2 distribution put together by the U of Minn (Gopher Linux) as a KDE
> workstation.  The distribution came with KDE 1.something and I upgraded it to
> 2.2.1.  At any rate have been running it for about 3 weeks now, and the
> system has locked up 4 times while in kde (no mouse or keyboard, the 3 finger
> salute does nothing,

In normal circumstances I'd say you have either an excess heat problem or
a wimpy PS.  Since it appears to be oriented around your KDE upgrade, I
have to ask, is there an ATI card involved here?  I had a problem with
Redhat (7.0 or 7.1) on my machine here at work where X would do the same
thing.  I think it's still an issue, I just haven't had time to dink with
it.  Anyway, I used to be a firm believer in ATI cards but I'm quickly
realizing that better alternatives exist.  Or maybe it has nothing to do
with that at all.  Could be that the new KDE is pissing off your exisitng
X version, have you upgraded to 4.x or are you on 3.x?

-Brian